As the holidays approach, the giant Asian factories arekicking into high gear to provide Canadians with monstrous piles of cheaply produced goods-- merchandise that has been produced at the expense of Canadian labour. This year Canadians will give the gift of genuine concern for other Canadians. There is no longer an excuse that, at gift giving time, nothing can be found that is produced by Canadian hands.
Yes there is!! Here are a few different ideas for gift giving that will help support our fellow Canadians:
- Gift Certificates from your local Hair salon or barber
- Gym memberships
- Car detailing certificate
- Gift Certificates to local owner-run restaurants or instead of a fancy restaurant certificate how about many little certificates to local breakfast joints.
- Gift Certificates for Oil Changes
- For MOM how about a local cleaning lady for a day
- A computer tune-up for a loved one from a local young guy who is struggling to get his repair business up and running
- Local crafts people make scarves, jewellery, pottery and beautiful wooden boxes
- Take your own photos and buy frames from local craftsman to give as gifts
- Give the gift of the arts by buying tickets to local ballets, plays, and musicians
- Home Made Christmas Planters
You see, Christmas is no longer about draining Canadian pockets so that China can build another glittering city. Christmas is now about caring about us, encouraging Canadian small businesses to keep plugging away to follow their dreams. And, when we care about other Canadians, we care about our communities, and the benefits come back to us in ways we couldn't imagine. This is the new Canadian Christmas Tradition.