Are you a tenant or a landlord?

KNOW THE LAW! It may be an offence for a residential landlord to disconnect services such as gas, electricity, heat or water?

Most landlords and tenants are responsible and reasonable - but sometimes offences are committed under the Residential Tenancies Act (RTA). You can find complete information about the 38 offences listed under the RTA at

Reporting an offence;

At Ontario's Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing, the Incestigation and Enforcement Unit (IEU) is responsible for taking complaints about possible offences under the RTA.

If you believe that your landlord or tenant has committed an offence, you can contact the IEU at 1-888-772-9277.

The IEU hanles complaints by discussing the law with tentants and landlords. The IEU also investigates infraction sof the RTA that can lead to prosecution and conviction of offenders.

Tips for establishing good landlord-tenant relations

  • Get it in writing: It is always best to have a written rental agreement that, among other things, clealy states whois responsible for providing and paying for vital services.
  • Keep the lines of communication open: Talk with your landlord or tenant to avoid problems before they start.
  • Contact your municipality: In addition to contacting the IEU, you can contact your local municipality for information on property standards by-laws that apply to residential tenancies.
  • Know your rights: The Landlord and Tenant Board (LTB) provides information on rigts and obligations, and resolves disputes between them. You can contact the LTB at 1-888-332-3234 or visit their website at

This information was provided by: - 1-888-772-9277 - Ontario Consumer Protection Branch (