What you need to know before you buy! First, expiry dates are not allowed on gift cards in Ontario. Second, fees or deductions from the value of a gift card are banned. Although as always there are exceptions.
Here are more things to keep in mind:
- Is the toll-free number or website clearly printed on the card?
- Fees may be charged for personalizing a gift card or replacing a lost or stolen card. Fees may also be charged on mall gift cards - but you must be told about all service fees up front.
- Are there any inactivity fees involved? after 18 months, a mall gift card may charge a fee of $2.50 per month if the card hasn't been used.
- Does the card have any security features like a PIN or protective sticker/scratch area?
- Did you keep your receipt? Always hold on to your proof of purchase, including the card number!
For more information please visit the MInistry of Consumer Services at www.ontario.ca/consumerprotection or call 416-326-8800 in the GTA or toll-free1-800-889-9768