Roofing problems can develop at any time. Most asphalt/fiberglass shingles are make to last about 15 years but you should begin to expect some problems around 8 to 10 years. Signs of attic leaks or moisture:
- Structural sagging, wavy roof fame and sheathing
- damaged, warn or missing shingles, moss growth
- corroded flashing
- Raised shingles along the botton of roof
- icicles haning fom gutter in the winter
- stained/discolored or delaminating sheathing, damp or discolored insulaion
- rusted nails and rust stains on sheathing
- water spots or black marks on the ceiling or at the juntion betwee ceiling and wall
- water marks around ceiling fixtures
Rain or wind: Some roof problems occur when wind forces the rain under the edges of the roof or shingles.
Ice Dam: is an accumulation of ice at the lower edge of a sloped roof. They form when there is a layer of snow on the roof, which melts due to heat loss from the house ino the attic.
Moss: Wood and built-up roofs are vulnerable to the deterioration by moss for its ability to retain muisture.
Water Vapor: Exfiltration of warm moist air to drier colder air results in condensation, mold and mildew and wood decay.
For more information visit:
Post Noes - Volume 5
Pillar To Post - Professional Home Inspection News and Information
34 Old Coach Road, St. Catharines, ON L2N 2P5