Check out my video showing you how easy it is to grow sprouts at home.
As you can see from the video, all you need are some simple items to grow your own organic sprouts:
- Canning jar with ring or any clear glass container and an elastic band
- Some sort of mesh or gauze (I use the mesh bag my garlic came in)
- Tablespoon to measure out your seeds
- Seeds that you would like to sprout (clover, alfalfa, mung beans, sunflower seeds)
- Measure 1 tablespoon of seeds and place in the bottom of your clean canning jar or glass container
- Fill about 1/4 of the jar with cool water
- Cover top with mesh or gauze (ensure the holes in the mesh won't allow the seeds to fall through.)
- Secure the mesh or gauze with canning ring or elastic band
- Place jar in a bright location
- Keep the water fresh in the jar throughout the day. Empty the existing water out of the jar, rinse, and refill jar with fresh water. The rinsing of the seeds should be done several times (2-6 times) throughout the day
- In 4-6 days your sprouts should be ready to eat. (Continue to rinse sprouts daily as long as you keep them in the jar.)
Benefits of Sprouts:
- Clover sprouts is very easy to sprout and is a pretty green. It is a rich source of protein, and contains vitamins A, B, C, E and K along with the minerals calcium, magnesium, potassium, iron, phosphorous and zinc.
- Red clover is great for women's health. It contains plant estrogens similar to human hormone estrogen. This can help with symptoms of PMS, menopause, hot flashes and fibrocystic disease.
- Sprouts in general have abundant anti-oxident levels which significantly increase your energy levels and provide anti-aging benefits for the skin.
- Sprouts are detoxifying and act as a blood purifier that can correct deficiencies in the circulatory system over time.
- Clover sprouts are the main dietary source of isoflavones, above any other superfood. Studies have shown that isoflavones can significantly reduce the risk of cancer.
- Cancer fighting - high in phytochemicals, particularly genistein, which has been found to prevent the formation of new blood vessels in cancer tumours, impeding further growth.
Barbara Grumme, Sales Representative Century 21 www.niagaraexecutivehomes.com
Greystone Manor Bed & Breakfast: www.greystone-manor.ca