With the New Year come new beginnings, and many of us are determined to turn over a new leaf and finally do that one thing that we’ve been putting off for a while. Whether we want to exercise more often, spend more time with the family, or finally go for that big promotion, the New Year is a time when most of us make life changing resolutions. But how can we actually keep these resolutions by the time February roles around?
Here are 5 easy steps to help you stick to your New Year’s resolutions in 2017!
- Be Specific! Many people make vague resolutions such as “get in shape” or “work harder” in the New Year, but when your goals are not specific you will not be motivated to work towards them. Instead, commit to losing 10 pounds or exercising at least 3 times a week, and then follow through! You can always move the bar higher as you go, but seeing real and specific results will motivate you to stick to it.
- Plan Ahead! Once you pick a specific goal, you need to plan your daily routine around that goal. If your New Year’s resolution is to exercise at least 3 times a week, you have to organize your life in a way that gives you the time to do that. Keeping a written schedule which you can review daily will help to keep you on track.
- Be Patient! If your goal is to lose 10 pounds in a month but after a month goes by you still find yourself at the same weight, your first instinct will likely be frustration and you might be tempted to give up altogether. At this point you must remember that everyone is different, and big changes in your daily routine need time to take hold. Stick to your guns and persevere.
- Be Flexible! As you pursue your New Year’s resolutions you might encounter unforeseen obstacles. For instance, you might be called into work on a day that you were planning to devote to exercise or some other important activity. Don’t let this throw you off! Success is not an all-or-nothing game, and you can reschedule your activities or even skip a day or two as long as you stay committed for the long haul.
- Get Support! Make the commitment to tell your friends and family what your goals are and what you are doing to achieve them. If you do this you will feel a greater incentive to follow through, and your loved ones will be able to support you through the process and remind you of your priorities. The “Buddy System” is an old idea, but that’s because it works.
If you follow these 5 easy steps you will be far more likely to stick to your New Year’s resolutions, and 2017 can be your year for new beginnings and new adventures!