|The National Pest Control Association offers these practical tips to minimize household insect problems:
- Clean insect hiding places such as cracks and crevices in floors, baseboards and vents.
- Get rid of inside trash daily. Make sure that trash is stored outside in tightly closed containers.
- Screen all doors and windows and keep the screens in good condition.
- Keep food in tightly closed containers.
- Clean up spills and crumbs completely.
- Keep your pets clean and insect free.
If you use any pesticides, practice safety first. Buy only givernment-registered pesticides designed for your particular problem and follow all label directions carefully. Store them carefully.
Should you decide you need professional assistance, bear these points in mind:
- Choose a company that belongs to a recognized state/province or national association.
- Regulations require that treating personnel have training to handle and apply pesticides safely.
- When a pest control technician comes to your home, ask the person to clearly identify the problem and explain what can be done.
- Ask how long the treatment will last and what the results will be.
- Inquire about costs and guarantees.